June 2, 2011

Kale Salad with Citrus, Mint, and Feta

Good news: I can eat again. Even though I didn't think it would ever happened, my throat is perfect and I'm healthy again. Of course, the first thing I thought to care about was food.

When I wracked my brain for what exactly to eat, I came up short on life's little delicacies.

Pizza? No.

Chocolate? Not a chance.

Lemon poppy muffins? Absolutely not.

You sure about that chocolate? Don't tease me.

You see, for over a week, I ate poorly. Poor in nutrition and poor in amount. My diet consisted of every soft carb I could force down my near closed throat. Oh, and milkshakes. And ice cream. So, where did this leave me?

Vegetable hungry. So very vegetable hungry. All I could think about was the crunch of a carrot, starchy sweet summer corn, and raw kale.



Well, those were all I could think about aside from s'mores, of which I ate many. Something about completely charred marshmallows makes me irrevocably happy.



Anyway, back to this salad. It's easy to toss together, inexpensive, and full of fresh, clean flavors. Chewy kale, bright citrus, and beautifully salty feta cheese combine to make a perfect lunch or side dish. It's simple, it's healthy, and it quelled my vegetable hunger.


Kale salad with citrus, mint and feta
Ingredients

- 1/2lb curly kale, chopped
- 1 grapefruit, segmented
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, torn
- 2T sesame seeds
- 1T olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- S&P, to taste

Instructions

- Combine kale with olive oil, lime juice, and salt. Massage with your fingers for a few minutes, or until kale begins to soften and slightly wilt. Toss together remaining ingredients, season to taste, and let sit at room temperature until ready to serve.

Serves 2


post signature