June 5, 2011

Strawberry Agua Fresca Cocktail

My birthday was yesterday (22!), and it was a perfectly relaxing day spent hanging out with my mom, stuffing my face full of Dal Makhani and warm, bubbled roti, stuffing my face even more with chocolate strawberry cake, and drinking these cocktails.



I really wanted to create a birthday cocktail. There's something so adult about mixing up drinks, and I quite like it. I don't drink often, but a glass of beautiful oak-aged wine, a craft beer, or a refreshing cocktail really makes me happy.

Happy to the point that, a few nights ago, I poured myself a glass of wine and decided to make my own cheese plate, because what is wine without cheese?

Stabler without Benson.

Marshmallows without a campfire.

My cats without one of my body parts to attack.


So, I sat in my living room, slowly eating champagne cheddar, strawberries, and taking gulps of merlot, all while watching Real Housewives of Orange County.

Right. So, back to this cocktail: I wanted something light, fruity, colorful, and with a little kick. I could say something akin to "like me!" but that would be silly.



Oops.

I decided to add some alcohol to one of my favorite summertime drinks: agua fresca. This drink means "fresh water" and is served in many Mexican restaurants. Basically, you blend any fruit (or even vegetables like cucumber), add cold water and some sweetness, and enjoy with the sun on your shoulders and a breeze in your hair. I added alcohol because, well, why not?

It'll make any summertime event special - barbecues, date nights, a lazy weekend, and even a birthday - and take you to straight to Mexico.



Strawberry agua fresca cocktail
Ingredients

- 1lb strawberries, hulled
- 2 1/2 cups cold water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2-4T honey
- 8oz white rum

Instructions
- Blend strawberries with 1 cup water and puree until smooth. Strain through a sieve to remove seeds. Add back to the blender and mix with remaining water, lime, and honey. Pulse to combine.
- Add ice to a shaker*, then add strawberry mixture and rum. Shake for a few seconds, then add to glasses (or jam jars!), garnish with a strawberry and enjoy!

Serves 4

* If you don't have a shaker, just add alcohol with strawberry mixture and stir to combine. Transfer to a pitcher and serve over ice.

post signature