May 15, 2010

She's My Cherry Pie

Confession: I have never tried a Larabar.

Did they intrigue me? Yes, but for a long while I was 'afraid' of fats, so I avoided things that I deemed high in fat. Now that I have a healthy relationship with healthy fats, I'm really enjoying finding new ways (to me) to enjoy them. Enter Lara.

I didn't want to buy them because a) they're incredibly easy and inexpensive to make and b) homemade is always more fun. So, I found this page of recipes and got to work.


Cherry Pie "Larabars"

Ingredients

- 1/4 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup unsweetened tart cherries
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (or nut o' choice)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Instructions
Lay out two pieces of plastic wrap before you do anything else.


Pulse dates in your food processor until they look like this. Dump in bowl.


Without cleaning the processor, add nuts and pulse until fine. Dump in date bowl.


Mash with your hands until the mixture is thoroughly combined and your hands are thoroughly sticky.

Pretend I took a picture of this. Cut mixture in half and put each half in one piece of plastic wrap. Shape into desired bar shape and throw them in the fridge until you're ready to eat. Enjoy!


I need to re-paint my nails.

These are wonderful. I have concluded, however, that it is near impossible to make them look aesthetically pleasing.

6 comments:

  1. neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat. I LOVE cherry LARABARs- oh why oh why do I live in a place with no daaaaaates? *cry*

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can't find any dates then you can substitute for prunes, figs or other dried fruit. It might not have the exact texture of the dates, but it should work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were great, Heather! I'm going to be making a couple of different kinds today and I'm excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. look at this!! that's so awesome you made bars. mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

    ReplyDelete