July 6, 2011

Mexican Salad



Many months ago, I went to Cafe 118 for yet another perfectly deletable meal. I ordered the taco salad, which was full of so many flavors and textures that my mouth went into overdrive. I took a bite. I moaned. I took another bite. And moaned.

Oh did I moan.

After proclaiming it to be the best salad ever, I vowed to make it at home.

And I didn't.

Dehydrated tortillas? Cashew sour cream? I'd love to. My wallet? Not so much.



So, after reading a post on Andie's blog, I decided I had to make a Mexican salad. A simple one, full of my aromatic frijoles, fresh, vibrant vegetables, guacamole as smooth as butter, and one of my favorite herbs, the misunderstood cilantro.



It's easy. So easy you've probably seen it before. So easy you probably don't think it's worthy of a blog post. But I do, and that's all that matters, isn't it?


Mexican salad
Ingredients

- 1 head romaine, chopped
- 2/3 cup black beans
- 1 large corn cob, grilled* and kernels removed
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1/2 cup guacamole**
- 2-4T plain Greek yogurt, or sour cream

* To grill corn, just coat with a little olive oil and place on direct heat, turning every few minutes, until lightly charred.

* My guacamole varies almost every time I make it. For this, I mashed one avocado and combined it with the juice of 1/2 a lime, 1/2t each cumin, onion powder & garlic powder, 1/4t cayenne, and some sea salt. I like mine super smooth.

Instructions
- Combine all ingredients and serve chilled.

Serves 2

Pico de gallo
Ingredients

- 1lb roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- S&P, to taste

Instructions
- Combine ingredients and chill for at least an hour.

post signature