May 16, 2011

Double Cheddar & Caramelized Onion Mac & Cheese

The other day, my mom told me about a "Hungry Girl" recipe for mac & cheese, which involved both broccoli in cheese sauce and Laughing Cow cheese wedges.

I distorted my face and ranted about how awful it sounded for a good twenty minutes.

Let me repeat to you guys: it's awful. I don't subscribe to the "low fat, low cal, low taste" mailing list.

Why would anyone...?
Don't get me started again.

Anyway, my food philosophy involves eating foods the way they're meant to taste. Using real, wholesome ingredients to allow for the integrity of the dish to shine.

So, when a craving for mac & cheese hit, I did just that.



I used real cheese. Fresh grated, good quality cheese. And real milk.

And perfectly al dente orecchiette pasta.

And slow cooked, sweet and luscious caramelized onion.

No artificial cheese to be found. Not a gelatinous thirty-five calorie wedge in sight.



Instead, a combination of flavors that created such a beautifully rich, thick and creamy mac & cheese that a small bowl satiated my craving, my belly, and my soul. Oh, did it ever satisfy my soul.

Real food. Real good.


Double cheddar & caramelized onion mac & cheese
Ingredients

- 2 cups dry, small pasta
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup mild cheddar (I used champagne cheddar), grated
- 3/4 cup smoked cheddar, grated
- 1 cup milk
- 1T butter
- 1T flour
- Pinch of nutmeg
- S&P, to taste

Instructions
- Caramelize onions in an oiled large skillet on medium low for about 45 minutes, or until onions turn a nice golden brown. Set aside.
- Cook pasta per instructions. Set aside.
- In a sauce pot, melt butter and slowly stir in flour. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes to remove the raw flour taste. Slowly pour in milk, whisking to avoid lumps, then add nutmeg. Stir until warm and slightly thickened. Slowly add cheese and stir until smooth and fully melted. Add in cooked pasta and onions and stir to combine.

Serves 4


post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment