October 27, 2010

Improvised Tabbouleh

This week's Wednesday night class dinner features a recipe that showcases what happens when you don't have an ingredient that is integral to dish itself.

You see, I really love tabbouleh. That being said, I've only ever had it from the grocery store. Being that the ingredients are so simple, I knew I had to try making it at home. So, I bought the ingredients, including a bunch of parsley. Then I forgot to make it. When I pulled out the parsley today, it was less than stellar. So I improvised.


Moroccan mint tabbouleh
Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups cooked bulgar
- 2 Persian cucumbers, diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup mint, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup almonds, toasted and roughly chopped

Dressing
- Juice of 2 small lemons (or 1 jumbo), zest of one
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- S&P, to taste
- Optional: 2 tsp honey

Instructions
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.
- To assemble salad, toss all ingredients together, drizzle dressing over top and toss until well combined. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

Serves 2


If you'd like to, or you have the funds of Ina Garten, feel free to throw a pinch of saffron into the dressing as well to make it extra Moroccan. Even if you don't do that, I guarantee this one's a keeper.


I was worried the large amount of mint would taste...medicinal, but it was really refreshing. It was a perfectly light meal and it was fun to play around with traditional tabbouleh. Don't be afraid to take a dish and mess around with it, tousle its hair or turn it on its side. Throw in a different herb, new spices or dig into the depths of your pantry for some dried fruit - just have some fun.

post signature

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment