February 11, 2011

Coconut Curry Yellow Lentil Soup

Well, it has been a fun hiatus, but fortunately (or unfortunately, since you all now have to deal with me) I'm officially back - this time with an actual recipe! Yes, folks, I'm actually cooking again. I thought I lost my touch since, prior to this evening, my biggest culinary endeavor was heating up a Trader Joe's masala burger. Thankfully for my taste buds and the sake of the blog, I didn't lose my cooking prowess.



Since it's bitterly cold, I decided to make my favorite comfort meal: soup. So, I threw together some ingredients that I thought would complement each other well, and ended up with a creamy, stick-to-your-ribs soup that will provide a week's worth of warm bowls to help ease those freezing nights.


Coconut curry yellow lentil soup
Ingredients

- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2t ginger, minced
- 1 russet potato, peeled & diced
- 1 1/2 cups split yellow lentils, uncooked
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 4 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 1 15oz can coconut milk
- 2t curry powder (I make my own, but use what you have on hand)
- 1t garam masala
- Juice of half a lemon
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- S&P, to taste

Instructions

- Rinse lentils. Add them to 4 cups water, bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until they just begin to get tender. Drain and set aside.
- Saute aromatics (I used coconut oil) until translucent. Add stock, coconut milk, cooked lentils, potato and spices. Bring to a simmer and cook until potato is fork tender and soup is thickened. Add cooked brown rice at the last few minutes to heat through. Finish off with cilantro, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and serve!

Serves 6



Definitely give this soup a try. It has a nice heat, though not overpowering, and is totally and completely warming. It's also wonderfully thick and hearty, and left me full for hours. Followed by a cup of green tea and a ginger chew, I was a happy girl.



Oh, and you're not going crazy. I am back to using Organically Me. So, rest assured, I'm the crazy (indecisive) one. But I feel at home here, and that's all that matters.

Subscribe to the blog here!

post signature

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

  1. Glad you're back!
    That soup looks delish! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. @fitchocoholic

    Me too! I'm also glad I have oodles of leftover soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't you change the name of the blog? And didn't you do a whole post on the reason why you did it? Or am I going slooowly insane? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Laura

    You're not insane, I am, haha. I did change the name, but I've been wanting to be Organically Me again for a long time - I had some domain issues, so I couldn't access it until now. I just didn't feel right posting under anything other than this blog. It's my home. :) Sorry for the confusion!

    ReplyDelete