Patate e pepi al forno (potatoes and peppers in the oven)
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 bell peppers, cut into strips
- Marinara sauce (I adjusted my recipe by adding 1 tbsp red pepper flakes. Calabrese cooking typically uses them in everything, so don't be shy)
- Sprinkle of vegan parmesan cheese (combine equal parts nutritional yeast and sesame seeds with a pinch of sea salt and blend until combined)
- Sprinkle of oregano
- Basil, for garnish
- S&P, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Leave cubed potatoes in cool water until ready to use to reduce the starchiness.
- Put potatoes and peppers in a baking dish and toss with marinara sauce. Spread evenly on the bottom so the potatoes are mostly in one even layer, which ensures that they'll look evenly and at the same time. Sprinkle top with parmesan "cheese".
- Cook for 45-50 minutes, turning halfway through, or until potatoes are soft and dish is bubbly. Top with more marinara, "cheese" and basil. Mangia!
This is another dish that doesn't look very appetizing, but I promise it is so, so good. The sauce was spicy, the potatoes were crisp and the house smelled like an Italian trattoria. Maybe I'm just partial to it because eating it reminds me of home, but dishes like this are ultimate comfort to me. I was happy last night - eating my patate, listening to Old Blue Eyes and drinking red wine. To me, few things are better than that.
Speaking of ultimate, this morning I made the ultimate superfood SIAB using some goodies I bought yesterday
In the mix
- 1/2 frozen banana + 1/4 cup frozen raspberries + 4 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup soy milk + 1/2 cup water
- 1 handful kale
- 4 basil leaves
- 1 tbsp flax
- 1 tsp each irish moss, maca, spirulina and wheatgrass
- 1/2 cup Cascadian Farms cinnamon crunch cereal + 1/4 cup granola
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Sprinkle of goji berries
- Blob o' dark chocolate pb
Insane! Love the basil. :D
I see more comfort food in my future. And more wine.