Creamy summer vegetable soup
- 4 ears of corn, kernels removed
- 1/2lb green beans, cut into bite size pieces
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 large zucchini or 2 small, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 15oz can light coconut milk
- 2-3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Old bay, to taste
- Cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 425. Add corn (in husks) and roast for 15 minutes.
- While the corn is cooking, sweat aromatics in olive oil. Once translucent and soft, add to crock pot.
- Allow corn to cool, remove husks and remove kernels using a sharp knife going in a downward motion. Set side.
- Add all vegetables and remaining ingredients in crockpot. Turn on low and cook for 4-6 hours.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a sprinkle of old bay. If your stock is salted, only add additional salt at the end. I actually didn't use any additional salt and it was perfectly seasoned.
This soup was so good. It was creamy and hearty without being heavy and its flavors were perfect for this time of year. If nothing else, add the Old Bay. I promise you it makes the soup.
Add potatoes or chickpeas if you want a more calorie dense soup. I just wanted something light.
Now, to resist the urge to make more soup or else my fridge will be full of leftovers.