Fagioli all’Uccelletto (Cannellini beans in tomatoes)
- 1 15oz can cannellini beans + bean liquid
- 2 medium vine tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Fresh basil
- S&P, to taste
- Chop tomatoes and crush them with your hands a bit to release more liquid.
- Add tomatoes, torn basil and garlic to a non-stick pan. Cook on medium-high for 15-20 minutes or until tomatoes are completely soft and break apart to the touch.
- Add beans + bean liquid and stir (note: I use no salt added beans so I can control the salt in my dishes). Cook for about 5 more minutes, making sure beans still retain their shape. You're looking for the sauce to thicken a bit but for the beans to just warm through. Finish with more torn basil and fresh cracked pepper.
See? Simple. The way food should be.
If I had my way I'd serve it with a giant piece of crusty bread, but alas, I had a side salad with spinach, radicchio, broccoli and balsamic. More nutritious? Yes, but bread it is not.