Perfect marinara sauce
- 1 large can San Marzano whole tomatoes. Use these, they make a difference.
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Fresh torn basil leaves (I rarely measure fresh herbs, so use whatever feels good)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flake
- S&P, to taste
- Hand crush tomatoes in a large bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large sauce pan and saute aromatics on medium heat until they begin to sweat.
- Add crushed tomatoes, rest of the olive oil, and herbs and seasoning. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer. Keep on low until serving. Serve over pasta, spaghetti squash, or whatever you desire!
A good Italian girl knows how to make a killer marinara sauce. I pride myself in being a good Italian girl.
Sometimes I like a food item or dish so much that I could bathe in it; this is one of those times.