I'm almost embarrassed to post this recipe because, well, it's more of a no-recipe dish. I basically just threw things together in a mostly tired state and hoped it would taste good. Rice & beans is just that kind of a dish to me. Everyone has their own recipe, it's super easy and quick but also really delicious. I like mine very spicy.
Rice & beans
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 red pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce or crushed/diced/etc tomatoes (whatever you prefer)
- *Secret ingredient* 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Pinch of cayenne
- In an uncovered pot, bring rice and water to a boil. Once boiling, turn to a simmer and cover. Allow to cook for about 45 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- In a pan, saute onions and garlic until translucent. Add remaining ingredients, stir and simmer until peppers are softened and sauce is thickened.
- Add cooked rice to the bean mixture. Stir. Enjoy!
On the side I had a piece of flax tempeh. To prepare that, I made a dry rub with paprika, cumin, cayenne, salt, and a pinch of sugar (I didn't measure, just dumped). I rubbed the mixture on both sides, added a splash of lime juice and grilled for 2-3 minutes on each side.
I don't know why, but today I'm SO tired. I had to slow my pace during my run today, but every other time I've had enough energy to keep my pace up. It's Friday, I should be energized and out having fun or committing some form of debauchery, but all I want to do is drink tea and go to bed early. When did I turn into an old woman?