April 12, 2011

Pomegranate Molasses & Falafel

What do you get when you simmer pomegranate juice for over an hour?



You get my new obsession.

I'd eat it off a spoon. I'd eat it off my shoe. I may have eaten it off my table. Hell, I'd even eat it off my cats.

(Sorry, Lucy and Mary)

It's pomegranate molasses - a thick, tart and richly concentrated syrup which is often found in Middle Eastern cuisine. It is my latest form of liquid crack.



Since my cats weren't around, I thought I'd drizzle it over some falafel* stuffed pita. I stuffed chewy pita bread with warm, aromatic falafel (pan fried this time), crisp romaine, vibrant red onion, tart and cool homemade tzatziki, creamy goat cheese crumbles and completed it all with a luscious drizzle of pomegranate molasses.



It was heaven. Absolute, total Middle Easter syrup heaven.

I can't be to blame if the leftover molasses is accidentally dumped into my ice cream tonight. What can I say? I'm clumsy.

I have big plans for this, you know, aide from dumping it on ice cream and using it as a garnish for my shoes. Just you wait.

Pomegranate molasses
Ingredients

- 2 cups 100% pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup sugar

Instructions
- Bring ingredients to a low boil. Turn to medium low heat and simmer for 70 minutes, or until reduced by at least half. Cool for at least half an hour.

Makes about 1 cup

* = Remind me to update that recipe once I make more falafel. I've changed it and I much prefer the new one.

post signature