October 13, 2010

American Classics: Sloppy Joe's

There is absolutely nothing visually appealing about this recipe. It didn't look nice in the crockpot, it didn't look nice on the bun, and it definitely didn't look nice on my gym pants. Or my chin. Or the floor. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about by now. If not, well, here you go.


(Crockpot) Sloppy Joe's
Ingredients

- 1 block extra firm tofu, frozen and thawed
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup organic ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- S&P, to taste
- Bib

Instructions
- Squeeze thawed tofu until most of the water is removed. Crumble into a bowl an set aside.
- In a large pan, saute aromatics until soft. Add to crockpot.
- Add tofu to the pan and cook until golden brown. Add to crockpot.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and turn on low for 4-6 hours or until ready to serve. The longer it cooks, the more the flavors will infuse the tofu and the mixture will break down and become extra tasty.

Serves 4-6



I had mine on a huge, crusty 7 grain bun that probably wasn't the best option. It was great bread, but made it even messier. Even though the point is to be messy, being covered in tomato products isn't something I enjoy.


I don't remember ever having sloppy Joe's with meat, so I can't say how authentic the flavor is, but it tasted great. It was a nice combination of sweet, tangy and smoky. The tofu had the perfect texture too; the key to recipes like this is definitely freezing it ahead of time because it's much firmer and toothsome.

I'm a believer that sometimes "ugly" food is the most delicious food (re: the entirety of Indian cuisine). So, don't let the pile of red crumbled tofu deter you from getting a little sloppy.

post signature

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. Ah this is a great idea. I had wondered about tofu in a crockpot - thought it'd get really mushy. I definitely need to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Heather (Where's the Beach)

    I don't know if it'd work with tofu that isn't frozen, so I definitely recommend freezing it.

    ReplyDelete