September 6, 2010

Fajitas, Sort Of

I'm back! I start classes tomorrow so I may be posting kind of irregularly for a bit, but I'm here for the most part. My roommates wanted to make burgers tonight, and since I didn't want to feel left out I decided to make my own kind of burger. For some reason I never like making the same kind of veggie burger more than once, so I concocted this idea which actually came out incredibly delicious and took less than 10 minutes to prepare.


Vegan fajita burgers
Ingredients

- 1 15oz can pinto beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cup oats, divided
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax, 3 tbsp water)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small (or 1/2 large) yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- S&P, to taste

Makes 6-8 burgers

Flax coating
Combine the following:
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Sea salt, to taste

Instructions
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Pulse oats until finely ground. Set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a skillet and saute onions, peppers garlic and jalapeno until they're soft and just start to turn brown. Allow to cool.
- Place 1 cup of the oat flour, 1/2 the beans, and vegetables in a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Add mixture to a bowl and add remaining half of the beans, flax egg, 1 tbsp oil and spices/seasoning. Mix together, adding remaining 1/2 cup oats as needed to create your desired consistency. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to firm.
- After they've properly chilled, place the flax coating on a plate and coat both sides of the burgers. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Enjoy!


I had mine on a delicious fresh salad tossed in a simple vinaigrette and topped with hemp seeds.


I was unsure how these burgers would turn out because the mixture was super moist. I actually got the idea to coat them in flax because they seemed like they would fall apart otherwise. Luckily after they cooked they were firm and had both great texture and flavor. Cooking some of the vegetables beforehand adds more flavor than using just raw vegetables; the sauteed onions and peppers complimented the smoky spices nicely. However, I would advise against cooking the mushrooms because they would probably make the mixture too moist. Overall it was another vegan burger success!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds super good! I have yet to make a homemade veggie burger I really enjoy... either the texture is off or the spicing is too bland. I'll try yours, they sound awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a while to find a good formula. Now, I have a basic recipe and just switch out the spices/beans to suit my mood - it's worked out well so far. :)

    ReplyDelete