May 22, 2010

These ARE Life Changing

I haven't really stocked up on my "fancy" ingredients so I haven't been able to cook much of what I'd like to cook. I still need lots of spices, herbs, Asian ingredients, etc to feel more at home. Basically, things are limited. I was thinking of making bbq tofu but dismissed that because I just wasn't feeling the bbq sauce two nights in a row. I had a revelation that I wanted nut butter. Do I want a nut butter sandwich? No. Not suitable for dinner. So, what's a girl to do when she's on a mission for nut butter bliss?

I turned to Angela for inspiration.


Nut butter sweet potato fries

Ingredients
- 1/2 large sweet potato
- 1 tbsp nut butter 'o choice (I used chunky almond butter)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch sea salt

Instructions
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut sweet potato into fry shape of your choice. I wanted mine to be on the thinner side.
- In a large bowl, mix nut butter and olive oil. Place sweet potatoes in the bowl and combine until thoroughly coated.
- Resist urge to lick fingers/spoon. Maybe.
- Line on a baking sheet, sprinkle with sea salt and cook for between 35-45 minutes, depending on fry thickness. Enjoy!

THESE WERE AMAZING. The nut butter creates a crust on the fries that makes them taste similar to a fried fry but way healthier and more flavorful. I love the combination of the sweet, creamy sweet potato with the nuttiness of the almond butter. I'll be making these often.

I know the original recipe(s) call for creamy nut butter, but the chunky made a cool coating on the outside and the toasted almond chunks tasted vaguely like popcorn.


I gobbled these up Augustus Gloop style.



Now I need to stock my pantry more before I go through an entire container of nut butter. Thanks, Angela!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting with the nut butter on the sweet potatoes. I need to give that one a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost guarantee that you'll love them!

    ReplyDelete