May 16, 2010

Strike A Pose

I've focused a lot on food in this blog and not enough on exercise! Like many bloggers, I do yoga; I'm very into it and do it daily. So, I thought I'd show you two of my favorite poses (I apologize in advance for the heinous panty lines):


Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Bridge pose)




Bridge pose is excellent because it strengthens the spine and the legs. The pose also allows your chin to lock into your jugular notch, which stimulates the thyroid.

An excellent, detailed how-to can be found: Here.

Now, my favorite pose of all time:

Halasana (Plow pose)


Plow is another pose which stimulates the thyroid. It also stretches the spine and hamstrings. My favorite part about this pose is that it is an excellent de-stresser. I feel amazing every single time I do it; it relieves headaches and body tension or pain. It took me a while to be able to do this, so beginners, don't be discouraged.

How-to for this awesome pose can be found: Here.
Note: You can place your hands on the small of your back or extend them. I do this pose twice in one routine, the first with my hands on my back and the second with them extended.

"Mom, can you take pictures of me doing yoga?" received a similar look to her catching me taking pictures of my yogurt, but I think she's used to my craziness by now. That being said, would anyone be interested in seeing more of my favorite poses? It's interesting seeing pictures of myself doing yoga, so I'd definitely be interested in taking more.

Namaste.

5 comments:

  1. I just started doing Yoga this past week and I have fallen in love with it. I haven't done the normal yoga yet. I've been going to Bikram Yoga. It's so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fell in love with yoga instantly, too. It honestly changed my life. It is hard, but totally worth it! I'd love to take a class but they're so expensive, so I just do my own thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S: Thank you for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like more pics!! That looks like it would really help my lower back. I'm gonna give that a try at work tonight (I work overnights in a nursing home) during some down time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I'll definitely try to put some more up. I hope the poses help your lower back. :)

    ReplyDelete