May 3, 2010

Guess who's back?

I finally have a new laptop! She's a metallic blue Acer netbook named Penny and she's running beautifully thus far. Yes, I do name inanimate objects; it's one of my many quirks. Well, I have an overwhelming amount of things to post since my hiatus, so I guess to make it easier I'll divide everything into sections. Since it is morning, I figured I'd start with "the oatmeal diaries":

I tried two new forms of oatmeal, the first was overnight oats. I made both banana nut and chocolate cherry mint overnight oats.

The beginning process was the same for both. At night, combine:
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup water or almond milk
- 1/4 cup soy yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sweetener of choice (stevia, agave, maple, etc), to taste
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- Before I refrigerated, I added unsweetened cocoa powder to the chocolate cherry oats and cinnamon/ginger to the banana nut oats.


Before refrigeration

Refrigerate overnight, then add whatever you want and have fun with it.


After refrigeration


After putting its face on.

I didn't photograph the chocolate cherry oats because they look incredibly unappealing; cocoa powder does not make for delicious looking oats. In the morning, I topped them with dried cherries and fresh mint. I have to say, while I liked the overnight oats, I definitely prefer mine hot. I found that I got sick of eating the overnight oats about halfway through and something about them just made me feel sick before finishing.

The other new thing was (PB&J swirl) oats in a jar!



I was SO excited when I realized that I had just enough peanut butter left in this jar for oats. I've seen this trick around various blogs and it seems so fun and a good way to reduce waste (and I mean, who wants to waste precious nut butters?) so I jumped at the chance to eat these.


Into the jar went 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup water, stevia, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tbsp flax meal and 1/4 cup frozen blueberries.


Look at that swirl!


I love experimenting with my oats, but still, my favorite way to eat oats are my tried and true whipped banana nut oats. Hot, full of cinnamon-y goodness and so creamy it feels like dessert.

Bonus breakfasts:


Fishy likes his peaches & cream oats.


I was on a waffle kick for a while. These are Nature's Path flax with fig waffles topped with berry applesauce, soy yogurt, banana, blackberries and cinnamon. Another day, I topped them with almond butter, banana and cocoa powder. Oh yes, I went there.

It's so hot and muggy in my apartment that I decided to have some (un-photographed) soy yogurt with granola and a banana. Well, by the time I got around to eating it, the yogurt was starting to get warm. Also, the contents of our freezer are nearly half thawed. Clearly the air conditioning in the building works really well.

Can you tell I like bananas?

0 comments:

Post a Comment