April 13, 2011

Strawberry Kiwi Salsa

When I was a kid, my favorite flavor of Lip Smackers was strawberry kiwi. I would apply it multiple times a day just to be able to lick and scrape it off my lips. Don't tell me you didn't do something similar. I just don't believe you.

Yes, I know it's disgusting. But, growing up, I wasn't the biggest fan of fruits and vegetables. I was more the cookies and chicken kind of girl. So I was just doing whatever I could to get my daily intake of produce, okay? Okay.

I also loved strawberry kiwi flavored waters. You know, like the Clear American ones they sell at Walmart? I used to love those. Strawberry kiwi smoothies are also delicious. Basically, I love strawberry kiwi.

It's like chocolate and peanut butter.

Chocolate and mint.

Chocolate and hazelnut.

Chooooocolaaaaaate.

Anyway. I came up with this brilliant salsa idea on the fly this morning. It seemed just crazy enough to work, what with perfectly ripe strawberries, tart kiwi and the right amount of heat.



It worked. It worked so well I ate almost the whole batch, and was left with a burning mouth and a chin full of fruit juices. Fruit salsas are one of the best ideas since combining chocolate and hazelnut to make Nutella.



Oh, Nutella, you make me so weak in the knees.

In short: this salsa rocks.


Strawberry kiwi salsa
Ingredients

- 3/4 cup strawberries, chopped
- 2 large kiwi or 4 small, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro, torn
- Sea salt, to taste

Instructions

- Combine all ingredients, stir, and refridgerate for at least an hour, or until ready to serve. The longer it sits, the juicier it gets and the flavors begin to meld in the loveliest of ways.

Makes ~2 cups

post signature