November 6, 2010

A Perfect Breakfast & Homemade Granola

I love oatmeal and I love adding funky supplements and superfoods to my breakfasts, but there's something so wonderful about simple, real food. I've always bought my granola, but there's something special about mixing your own together by hand and tasting how fresh it is in comparison to boxed brands.


Pecan millet granola

I was craving granola that was crunchy, had a short ingredients list and simple, but wholesome flavor. Sometimes I don't want a lot of seeds and dried fruits, sometimes I just want to bite into some sweet grains.


Ingredients
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup dry millet
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/8 tsp salt

Instructions
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Combine honey and coconut oil. Microwave for 20-30 seconds or until the warm.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to coat.
- Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container.

Makes about 8 1/3 cup servings







As you know, I love millet so I wanted to find a way to slip it into the granola for extra crunch. It worked amazingly well and added a beautiful crunchy texture and toasty, nutty flavor. I don't think I'll ever buy granola again.

As a side note, it's perfectly normal for a 21 year old to be making granola in her cupcake slippers at 9PM on a Thursday, right? I didn't think so.

post signature

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! It looks amazing. Homemade granola is probably much healthier than store brands. PS: I like the new blog name :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Latina Health Diaries

    Thank you! It's healthier and it totally tastes better and fresher. :)

    ReplyDelete