The white ones are pumpkin spice and the cocoa ones are Mexican chocolate.
I changed my original recipe a bit. For my first batch I used a mix of cashews and almonds because I didn't have enough almonds, but I only used almonds this time. Here's the new (basic) recipe:
Macaroons part deux
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- Pinch of pink salt
- For almond meal, pulse whole raw almonds in a food processor until finely ground.
- Add almond meal to a bowl with remaining ingredients and stir (using a bowl or your hands for extra love) until combined.
- Using a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop, shape macaroons and place on a cookie sheet.
- Follow "cooking" instructions on the original recipe.
For the pumpkin spice, I added 1/2 teaspoon of the following mix:
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cloves
Combine all spices and store in an airtight container. Alternatively, you could just use 1/2 tsp of any pumpkin pie spice.
For the Mexican chocolate, I added 1 tbsp cacao powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp cayenne.
These came out chewier than my first batch. I like both but the flavor of these are much better, mostly due to the spices I used. However, the last batch came together better than this one and these ended up a bit cracked. Ultimately both recipes are successful, it just depends on personal preference. Next: fruity 'roonies!