September 1, 2010

Loony for 'Roonies

I interrupt the "desserts for moi" segment of this blog to bring you two new raw macaroon flavors. Though, if you're like me, the entire batch could be consumed in one sitting so I guess this fits the bill as well. Anyway, I'm pretty excited over these; the flavors came out perfectly.


The white ones are pumpkin spice and the cocoa ones are Mexican chocolate.

I changed my original recipe a bit. For my first batch I used a mix of cashews and almonds because I didn't have enough almonds, but I only used almonds this time. Here's the new (basic) recipe:


Macaroons part deux
Ingredients

- 2 cups unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- Pinch of pink salt

Instructions
- For almond meal, pulse whole raw almonds in a food processor until finely ground.
- Add almond meal to a bowl with remaining ingredients and stir (using a bowl or your hands for extra love) until combined.
- Using a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop, shape macaroons and place on a cookie sheet.
- Follow "cooking" instructions on the original recipe.

For the pumpkin spice, I added 1/2 teaspoon of the following mix:
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cloves

Combine all spices and store in an airtight container. Alternatively, you could just use 1/2 tsp of any pumpkin pie spice.

For the Mexican chocolate, I added 1 tbsp cacao powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp cayenne.




These came out chewier than my first batch. I like both but the flavor of these are much better, mostly due to the spices I used. However, the last batch came together better than this one and these ended up a bit cracked. Ultimately both recipes are successful, it just depends on personal preference. Next: fruity 'roonies!

12 comments:

  1. The pumpkin flavor sounds good. Love love pumpkin. Now, as for the coconut...not so much. I have a pumpkin cookie recipe I need to dig out and see if I can make a healthier version....oh my mind is going now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those look like sugary sweet goodies but you didn't even use any! nice job my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I LOVE coconut. But in my opinion pumpkin makes everything tasty, so you can't go wrong with pumpkin spice. Pumpkin cookies sound heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best part is that they're totally sweet and chewy and taste 'bad' for you, but they're not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post, adding it to my blog now, thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very fine web site, thank you and look at that [url=http;//ciufcia.pl]gry dla dzieci[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m having a small issue I can’t get my reader to pickup your rss feed, I’m using google reader by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your helpful Post, I hope you have a good day!. scholarships for moms

    financial help

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow all I can say is that you are a great writer! Where can I contact you if I want to hire you?

    ReplyDelete