- 1 1/2 cups white spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 flax egg
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance, melted
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, combine melted Earth Balance, applesauce, orange zest, flax egg and ginger. In yet another bowl, combine molasses and milk and whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- Add Earth Balance mixture to the dry ingredients, then add milk and molasses. Mix until batter is combined, then fold in candied ginger.
- Pour batter into a greased, parchment lined 8x8 cake pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Makes 9 squares
This cake was just perfect. It filled the house with scents of the holidays and put an instant smile on my face upon first bite. The addition of orange zest and fresh ginger is key; I prefer the subtle sweetness and brightness that the orange gave, which is why I used it in place of lemon.
One of my roommates tried a piece and loved it, which makes the baking experience complete for me. As much as I love baking, I love being able to give something tasty and heartwarming to my friends and family to eat as well.
Make this cake, share with friends, and all all enjoy it in its gooey, dense, gingered glory.