Buttermilk pumpkin cinnamon swirl bread
Ingredients- 2 cups flour (I used sprouted spelt)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax, 2 tbsp water)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Instructions- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the mixture to thicken and "curdle". This is vegan buttermilk.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine pumpkin, vegan buttermilk, and flax egg. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until combined.
- Pour half the mixture into a greased loaf pan. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle a thin layer on top. Using a butterknife or a skewer, swirl the cinnamon sugar mixture. Add remaining batter on spread evenly on top. Shake the loaf pan so the batter settles and bakes evenly. Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon sugar mixture on top, if desired.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until top is golden brown and a knife comes out clean.
Makes one loaf
This is a fool proof, tasty recipe. It's just sweet enough, dense, moist and would make a great breakfast, snack or sandwich bread.
Also, this loaf is fat free. The "buttermilk" and pumpkin keep it moist, though, and the flavor is so delightful that you won't miss the oil. However, if you do, feel free to spread some Earth Balance (along with sweet potato butter!) all over it; I won't judge you. Or, as I plan to do later, eat a bar of dark chocolate with it to even things out.