June 29, 2010

Say Oui to Crepes

I finally had time to have a relaxing, long morning. No rushing, no oversleeping, just a normal lazy Tuesday morning. As you all know, my breakfasts normally consist of oatmeal, yogurt bowls or SIABs; I normally don't go all out and make a "gourmet" breakfast. Well, today I decided it was time to treat myself. I set out to try The Fitnessista's vegan crepe recipe.



I didn't have any spelt flour, so I changed the recipe a bit. I used:
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 1 flax egg (no Earth Balance)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Coconut oil, to coat the pan

My relaxing morning ended with the crepes. These things are frustrating! I'm sure they'd be easy to some, but for me they were a royal pain. I seem to have problems with preparing seemingly easy items (e.g. rice) so it's no surprise that these gave me problems.

First I used a pan that was definitely not non-stick, and even rubbing oil all over the bottom caused the crepe to stick to the pan for dear life. So, I switched pans, rubbed more oil, and went to town. The first crepe on that pan came out PERFECT. Then, it was all downhill.

When I tried moving the second crepe into the oven to stay warm, I dropped it into the bottom of the oven. The third crepe was way too thick and didn't distribute evenly enough; it ended up looking like a misshapen thin pancake. The longer the batter sat, the thicker it got, so next time I'll definitely make it on the thinner side.


I filled them with bananas and blueberries and topped with cashew whipped cream. The whipped cream couldn't be simpler:
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Water, to thin as needed.

Just throw into your food processor and process until it's thick, light and smooth.

These tasted wonderful, surprisingly enough. They had a nice hint of cinnamon and the whipped cream worked really well with the creaminess of the banana. With some playing around, I could get these crepes down perfectly. But, for a first attempt, I'd say they weren't too bad, non?

2 comments:

  1. Oh loving this recipe as a vegan alternative! I am not vegan, but not a fan of eggs. Crepes do take practice so you should be giving yourself high 5's on these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love eggs but now the mere thought of them grosses me out. Tyou. :) It was a noble effort.

    ReplyDelete