March 25, 2010

Light fare

One of my class discussions was canceled this afternoon, so I rushed home hoping to make a green smoothie. However, I realized the hard way that you can't really make a smoothies in a food processor. After I finished cleaning up spilled almond milk and pieces of spinach and blueberries off the floor, I went back to my standby lunch and relaxed for approximately five minutes before heading out again.


Baby carrots, Newman's Own spelt pretzels, blackberries and almond butter. I probably eat my weight in baby carrots every year.

Tonight's dinner was a bit of an experiment for me. When I was an omnivore, I HATED mayonnaise. Absolutely positively hated it. On the rare occasions I consumed it, it had to be the most minimal amount possible. But, for some reason I can't explain, I've been craving some sort of mock mayonnaise-based salad. So, my brain concocted this:


Curry chickpea salad

For the mayonnaise, I used this recipe, but added the cornstarch to 1 tbsp water and added the mixture while the mayonnaise was on the stove. I think it created a smoother texture.

Recipe:
Ingredients
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1-2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- Celery, as much as you desire
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- S & P, to taste
- 1/2 green onion, garnish

Instructions
- Mash all of the ingredients to desired consistency, put on your favorite bread with your favorite toppings and enjoy!


I put mine on an Ezekiel sprouted English muffin with baby spinach. Also with a side of baked sweet potato fries and steamed asparagus.

The verdict? Delicious! The star here is, in my opinion, the cinnamon. It added a hint of sweetness which wasn't overwhelming at all and contrasted nicely with the other spices. I'm also shocked that I actually liked the vegan mayonnaise. I loved this dish. Simple, easy, and healthy. :)

1 comment:

  1. OMG, yum yum yum yum. I wanted to make it for lunch today, as in NOW, so I had to make a few substitutions for ingredients I didn't have. I used pinto beans, instead of garbanzo. I made the entire can, or 15oz, so I multiplied the recipe by 3.5. I used vegan Garlic Aioli, instead of mayo. I used champagne vinegar, instead of lemon juice. I couldn't mash it, so I put it into the Vitamix and blended it. I put the mix into a container, scooped out enough for one sandwich, mixed in quite a bit of shredded cabbage (I had no celery), and spread it on toasted whole wheat bread. (The whole wheat naan I planned to use was moldy.) I ate the sandwich with roasted asparagus. YUM. I am so glad I have enough for several more sandwiches.

    Thanks for sharing! I am returning to healthier eating and your blog is the first one I stumbled into. I can't wait to troll your blog for more inspiration - and you are an inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete