July 4, 2010

Happy Independence Day!

I hope you're all having a great holiday! I had planned to go to the beach but the weather across Florida is awful, so it was mostly a day of relaxing and enjoying the holiday indoors. It didn't stop me from (kind of) having a bbq feast! It would have been better if I could be outside using an actual grill and basking in the sunshine, but alas, I used a George Foreman and dined at a dining room table while half-watching the Cooking channel. I guess you can't have everything.


The menu included white bean basil burgers, bbq "chicken", potatoes and oven baked corn. Not what I would call traditional 4th of July fare, but the day wasn't very typical all around. Still, everything hit the spot.


White bean basil burgers
Ingredients

- 1 15oz can cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (fresh is best)
- Flax egg (1 tbsp flax, 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5-6 torn basil leaves
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 red pepper, roasted
- 1 tsp oregano
- S&P
- Pinch o' red peppa

Instructions
- If making fresh breadcrumbs, toast bread either in a toaster or in a 350 oven until dried and slightly golden, then grind into fine crumbs.
- Place everything into a bowl and mash mash mash!
- Form into four equal patties, set in the fridge to firm up for at least 15 minutes.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side. Top with desired toppings and enjoy!


The burgers were the first I've made and tried using this flavor combination. It was definitely more delicate than black bean burgers (in both flavor and texture) but the fresh basil was really lovely. Next time I'd like to add some tomato paste to the mix and serve it on a ciabatta bun, but overall I liked these a lot. If you want something lighter/less hearty and "meaty" than a black bean or lentil burger, try these.


The bbq "chicken" was easy peasy. I just took some Gardein scallopini, grilled for a few minutes on each side then slathered with Annie's chipotle bbq sauce. I'm generally not a fan of pre-packaged faux meat and I don't think they should be eaten regularly, but this worked in a pinch after a craving for traditional bbq food struck.


My plate (I also had a few slices of homemade pickles, a couple watermelon chunks, and another small piece of corn). It's a little more than I'd usually eat, but hey, it is a holiday after all.

Well, I'm off to get ready to watch some fireworks and have a drinky-poo or two. Have a great night everyone! Be SAFE and have FUN.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me. Love the lighter flavor of cannellini beans. They have such a great texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do - I like them a lot. Very light and creamy.

    ReplyDelete