June 22, 2010

Rawkin' pasta

I promise I'll get sick of the raw puns. One day. Anyway, I have two amazing raw pasta dishes to share with you. I'm constantly surprised by the intense flavor profiles of raw dishes and how wonderfully rich and delicious they are; I have yet to be disappointed by raw cuisine. These pasta dishes are hearty, satisfying and full of flavor. Not to mention they're amazing to make in this heat because, well, they require no actual cooking.



1. Zucchini fettuccine with red pepper marinara

Ingredients

- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 6 sundried tomatoes, reconstituted in hot water
- 4 white or crimini mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 shallot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar (I recommend Eden)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tbsp each basil and parsley
- Pinch o' red peppa flake
- S&P

- 1 zucchini, made into fettuccine using a vegetable peeler.

Instructions
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and desired consistency is reached. Serve over zucchini fettuccine. Mangia!



This sauce was simply divine. I was originally going to make it with tomatoes instead of red pepper but I didn't have any fresh tomatoes. Sometimes things work out for the best because I loved it with the pepper. It tasted like honest to goodness marinara - tangy, rich, robust - and I don't think I would change anything about the recipe.

----


2. "Pad Thai"

Ingredients

- 1 zucchini, made into noodles using a spiralizer or vegetable peeler
- 1/2 red pepper, julienned
- 1 small cucumber, julienned
- 1 carrot (or a handful of baby carrots), julienned
- Chopped peanuts or cashews (for garnish)
- Green onions (for garnish)
- Cilantro, to taste

Sauce
- 2 tbsp nut butter du jour
- 1 tbsp shoyu or braggs
- 1/2 in. knob of ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp agave
- Juice of one lime
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 Thai chili

Instructions
- Put all sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Pour over vegetables, toss, top with nuts and green onion if desired and enjoy! I also recommend adding bean sprouts, but I didn't have any on hand.


I ended up slurping the remainder of the sauce after I was finished. Need I say more?


There you have it, two raw noodle dishes that are amazingly simple and delicious and use ingredients commonly found in the every day foodie kitchen. The more I eat raw foods, the more I crave them. I'm really getting into raw eating and I can't wait until I get the chance to buy a dehydrator and really immerse myself in the cuisine. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to continue making dishes like these. I know, it's a shame, right?

7 comments:

  1. It was like a party on my palette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they both look delicious. I'm looking forward to summer/or when it starts getting a bit warmer so I can try this sort of thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum on both. I love using zucchini as noodles. Japanese eggplants are awesome too if you like eggplant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I've never used eggplant as noodles but I love eggplant so I need to try it asap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the pad Thai a few weeks ago and I'm going to make it again tonight. I loved it! I made lots of the sauce because it was so delicious! I plan on making the zucchini pasta with red pepper marinara soon too. Here are pictures of my pad Thai: http://veggiegirlhealthcounseling.blogspot.com/search?q=raw+pad+thai

    ReplyDelete