February 18, 2011

I'm a Writer, Too!

This morning I thought I'd do things a little differently. Food, and blogging about food, are passions of mine, but another one of my passions is writing. No, not writing about a dish's herbaceousness or about yet another chocolate bar that seemed to have disappeared from my cupboard (so what if there's melted chocolate on my pants, I didn't eat it); I'm talking about good old fashioned creative writing.

Admittedly, I haven't been writing much. I was a bit disheartened when I submitted my portfolio to a slew of literary magazines and was rejected by every single one. But yesterday I received an email about a new literary magazine that specializes in humorous poems and prose. So, after some intense internal debate, I threw caution to the wind and submitted three poems. Here is one that ties in nicely with the blog, for your viewing pleasure:

***

Rendezvous with a Chef

He told me my toes were Vienna links
as he carefully savored each small bite,
forking his way to balls of milky dough,
kneading, letting them warm and rise.

My stomach souffléd with every pant,
flesh collapsing upon ribs; perfectly
butchered rack giving way to hands, hungry
and thirsting to butterfly my pink thighs.

He bound them like a fresh Cornish game hen
waiting to be stuffed with apples and sage.
Bubbles and steam broke the surface as he
deglazed the pan, using every juice drop.

Though his appetite was satiated,
minutes later, I was craving dessert.

***

I'll share more details if any of the poems are accepted. If they aren't, I'll share details anyway, so you all can send hate mail.

Now I'm off to get my butt in gear, do some yoga and head out for some delicious fresh juice and warm weather enjoyment. Be back later with a raw soup recipe. Happy Friday!

post signature