Garam masala brown rice pudding
- 1/4 cup short grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk alternative
- 1/2 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tbsp agave or other sweetener
- Scant 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp golden raisins
- 1 tbsp chopped almonds
- Cook rice and water per instructions (mine called for bringing to a boil and then simmering for 40 minutes).
- Whisk together milk and corn starch until smooth.
- Once water is absorbed, turn heat to medium and add milk and corn starch mixture, spices, agave and vanilla. Stir vigorously until thickened. When the mixture is just a bit thinner than you'd like, add the raisins and almonds and stir to combine. Take off the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. Serve warm or chill in the fridge for at least one hour. Remember, it will get thicker as it sits so it's better to take it off the heat when it's on the thinner side rather than thicker.
I served mine chilled since I made it ahead of time but it would also be amazing warm. This dish is simple, perfectly spiced, and the combination of the almost custard-like rice with the plump raisins and crunchy almonds was perfect. I'll definitely be making rice pudding again and I can't wait to experiment with mixins!