Don't you love the matching dishware? ;)
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps, cut into thick slices
- 3 bell peppers
- 1 large onion
- Mojo marinade (recipe below)
- Corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- Toppings galore (I used tomatoes, grilled jalapenos, and vegan sour cream)
Mojo marinade ingredients
- Two limes, juice of both and zest of one
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Marinate veggies for at least an hour, turning every 15 minutes or so.
- After marination is done, saute onions and peppers until cooked down to your liking. I prefer mine with a little crisp left in 'em. I also cooked the veggies in some of the leftover marinade so the flavor intensified.
- While onions and peppers are cooking, grill the mushroom slices until they begin to release their juices and grill marks form. Alternatively, you can toss them in with the onions and peppers, but I wanted them separate because they're acting as the "meat" in the recipe. Plus, grilled mushrooms are delicious.
- Warm tortillas, plate everything, build your fajitas and enjoy!
I love using multiple colors of peppers.
This was so simple and made for a filling and healthy lunch! I had 2 in tortillas, a "naked" one and some blue corns and salsa. This marinade is delicioso - spicy but with a hint of citrus that's really nice on the palette.
The weather is awful today but I'm on a mission to have a nice night! Adios!