July 11, 2011

Pasta with Avocado Cream Sauce and Cilantro Oil



For the past week or so, I've gone through at least half an avocado a day. Usually I'd just top my lunchtime sandwich with half or mash some up for Mexican salads; I didn't get too creative with them. So when I saw a lone, super ripe avocado in the fridge, I decided to get sassy.

Since I also had a decaying bunch of cilantro in the crisper, I decided to let loose with that as well. Does it bother anyone else that when you want to use fresh herbs, you end up buying way more than you need, letting the herb ultimately decompose in the fridge?

Right, this is a food blog. You don't want to hear words like decaying and decomposing. Moving on.

This was definitely one of those "use up the leftovers" type of meals. One of those "I pray this somehow comes together" dishes.



(It also happens to be one of those "looks horrifically unappetizing and monochromatic" dishes, but that's a minor detail.)

And come together it did. Beautifully, in fact.

The avocado cream sauce is just so creamy. It's luscious and coats the pasta in such a way that each noodle is almost cloaked. The cilantro oil adds just enough fresh punch; each bite has just a subtle herbaciousness that takes the dish to a heightened level. It just works.



Pasta with avocado cream sauce and cilantro oil

Ingredients
- 8oz pasta (I used gluten free rotini, but most will do)

Sauce

- 1 large ripe avocado, halved and pitted
- 1T white miso (optional)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup unsweetened milk (I used almond)
- S&P, to taste

Cilantro oil
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste

Instructions
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Prepare cilantro oil by blending olive oil and cilantro until thoroughly combined. If you want to remove the solids, strain through a mesh sieve. Set aside.
- Prepare sauce by adding all ingredients except milk in a blender or food processor. Slowly add milk until mixture is creamy and completely smooth. Add sauce to pasta and toss until coated. Drizzle each serving with cilantro oil.

Serves 4

post signature