That happened to me when I made this salad, and sat in the backyard, dining al freso with a large glass of wine. The sun was shining on my shoulders, the birds and crickets were having secret conversations, and the air smelled faintly like fire smoke and fresh cut grass. To top everything off, the food was exactly what I wanted. Full of both raw vegetables and grilled, salty feta cheese, perfectly juicy grilled shrimp, all tossed in a simple vinaigrette.
I took a bite complete with succulent grilled zucchini, briny kalamata olive, and just the right amount of feta, alternated with small sips of wine, and just relaxed.
Go have a moment like that today. You deserve it.
And then, when my meal was done and my glass was empty, I sat cross-legged on the grass. And meditated. It was beautiful.
Grilled greek salad with shrimp
- 1/2lb shrimp (31-40 count), peeled and deveined
- 1 large zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 small or 1 large cucumber, diced
- 8 mushrooms
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup feta crumbles
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2T red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1t oregano
- S&P, to taste
- Whisk together vinaigrette ingredients. Reserve half and set aside.
- Toss shrimp in half of the vinaigrette and marinate for about 20 minutes. Skewer and set in the fridge until ready to grill.
- Prepare zucchini, mushrooms and onion by brushing them lightly with olive oil. Grill them until slightly charred. Allow to cool slightly and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Grill shrimp skewers for about 2 minutes on both sides, or until pink and firm.
- Toss together grilled veggies with remaining ingredients, reserved vinaigrette, and feta cheese. Place shrimp skewers on top or toss them in the salad.