December 7, 2010

Vegan White Chili

My throat hurts. My nose is runny. For the past two days all my stomach could handle was crumpets drizzled in chestnut honey and brussels sprouts. Lots of brussels sprouts. That is, until tonight, when I proclaimed that I had to make an actual dinner. I had this weird craving for white chili, despite the fact that I have never in my life eaten it. It's typically made with heavy cream or half and half and chicken, but of course I had to change that.



Don't worry, it's still delicious. Though I can't say if it's better or worse than the original, I can say that this is a spicy, tangy and perfectly creamy bowl of chili. It's not so heavy that one bowl makes you feel like you ingested an anvil, but it definitely sticks to your ribs.



The best part is that it comes together in about thirty minutes. You could definitely make this with dried beans, but canned beans work fine, especially when one is chomping at the bit from hunger.



However, my favorite part about this chili is its smell - completely different than that of typical chili, it has a lime infused, almost baja-esque scent that is much different than its Texas counterpart. Since I adore that scent, this will definitely become a staple recipe in my household.


Vegan white chili
Ingredients

- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (non-dairy) cream
- 2 15oz cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup hominy (or white kernel corn)
- 2 4oz cans Hatch green chilies
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 cove garlic, minced
- Zest of 1 lime & juice of half
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Tiny pinch of grated nutmeg (optional, but I add it to creamy dishes)
- Sea salt, to taste

Instructions
- Saute aromatics in olive oil until translucent. Add remaining ingredients (aside from cream) and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in cream and nutmeg. Serve immediately, preferably with tortilla chips.

Serves 6


post signature

Bookmark and Share

9 comments:

  1. I have been looking for a way to make white chili without chicken and this sounds absolutely fantastic! I can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sorry you've been feeling bad. That's no good. This looks great. I've recently discovered that I love white chili. I have been making it with poblano peppers, cannellini beans, and using a chicken sub like quorn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry you haven't been feeling well!!! That chili looks yummy!!!!!!!!!! Will be making it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel better! I always crave some kind of soup when I'm feeling sick. Hope the chili helped!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Heather (Where's the Beach)

    I bet poblanos would be great in chili. I almost added "chicken" but I really dislike fake meats, so I though it'd be better without.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @fitchocoholic

    Luckily I feel better now. Thank you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kaitlin With Honey

    Thank you! That, mixed with about 80 cups of tea seemed to do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, this chili looks DIVINE! Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well, but with a dish like this, you gotta get better soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete