Avocado chocolate chip muffins
- 1 3/4 cup sprouted spelt flour
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 flax egg
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Up to 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Mash avocado and banana by hand or in a food processor until smooth. Combine mixture with remaining wet ingredients and slowly add the wet to the dry. Mix until just combined, adding non-dairy milk in tablespoon increments until batter is wet, but not runny. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon into a greased (and/or lined) muffin tin and fill about 3/4 of the way up. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Do not fear the avocado! It didn't turn my muffins green or make them taste like guacamole; the flavors in this muffin are very subtle. They're dense, wonderfully gooey and just sweet enough to make for a nice, hearty breakfast companion or a late night chocolate fix. In fact, I think I'll have another one now - breakfast is calling me.