Whole grain apple cider & brown sugar scones
- 2/3 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed + 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in Earth Balance using your fingers until the mixture is crumbly and the EB is evenly distributed.
- Add wet ingredients and mix until it becomes a wet ball of dough.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and form into a circle of your desired thickness. Score into four triangles using a serrated knife. Top with remaining tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, finish cutting into triangles and enjoy!
These made my kitchen smell so amazing. I miss apple cider donuts so much, and while these aren't an exact replacement, they're pretty darn close. The taste is similar and the scent perfumed my apartment with apple and cinnamon. They were dense but moist, spicy but sweet, and made for the perfect afternoon snack.
Now that I know how delicious these are, I'll definitely be making bigger batches next time. Or, multiple small batches of various flavors. Either will do.