Chili with red beans, squash, and kale
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large acorn squash, cubed
- 2 15oz cans red kidney beans, drained
- 2 15oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chilis (I used TJ's brand)
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- S&P, to taste
- Combine spices in a bowl and set aside.
- Saute aromatics in olive oil on medium heat. Once translucent, add remaining ingredients and spice mixture.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so. Ladle into bowls and have a pitcher of
This would only be better with some corn bread. Lots of corn bread. Unfortunately, I have no cornmeal! As soon as I have some in my possession I'm determined to make a dozen batches of it. Which is good, since I have 3 containers full of leftover chili to eat.
I have an exciting new "desserts for moi" recipe coming. See ya'll soon!