I wanted to make my own dough, I really did. However, I didn't think we had a bowl big enough to allow for proper rising, so I decided to let Trader Joe's do the work for me. My failure at rolling totally made it look rustic and homemade. Or sloppy.
Roasted poblano & corn pizza
- 1 package whole wheat dough (or any dough you prefer)
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 small ear corn
- 1/2 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4-1/3 cup sauce*
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast**
- Sea salt, to taste
* = Lazy moment. I just used Trader Joe's pizza sauce and added 1/2 tsp of cumin and 1/2 tsp of chili powder to it. It worked well enough.
** = Another lazy moment. If I wasn't so hungry I would have made a cheeze sauce of sorts, but I felt the nooch did the job well enough.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Roast pepper and corn (make sure to wrap the corn in foil). Pepper should be ready in 8-10 minutes, corn will be done in 15-20 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 425.
- Set pepper in a paper bag and allow to rest for at least 5-10 minutes, or until charred skin comes loose. Peel, remove stem/seeds, cut into strips and set aside.
- Stand corn cob in a medium bowl. Using a sharp knife, cut downward on a couple rows of corn. Repeat until all the kernels are in the bowl.
- Roll dough evenly on a 12" pizza pan using your desired thickness. (I like mine fairly thin with a doughy crust).
- Spread thin layer of sauce on dough. Pile on toppings.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Enjoy!
This was ridiculously good pizza. Smokey, slightly sweet and not overly spicy. If I were to make it again, I'd definitely make my own sauces and attempt to make my own dough. However, Trader Joe's did not disappoint.
I also tried something new to drink with it - Hansen's soda. I gave up soda months ago because I didn't find it necessary, but I really wanted to try this. The packaging seemed promising and I like that it's all natural; it seemed like a "healthy" diet soda.
It was delicious. Best soda I've ever had. However, I just noticed the "Splenda" insignia, which confuses me because it claims it doesn't contain aspartame. I won't be drinking this often, but I think it'll be a nice treat.
I'll be trying another treat later tonight. Stay tuned!